[pmwiki-users] Defaulting PmWiki to utf8

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Tue Nov 20 07:49:18 CST 2007

On Tuesday 20 November 2007, Hans wrote:
> Looking at the issue of character sets I notice that in the skins I
> published the skin template has a content meta tag set as
> content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
>
> I never thought much about it, but do now: is this bad practise?
> Is it better a skin does not set a character set?
>
> How is it set normally?

Hi Hans.

You shouldn't need to set such meta tag for iso-8859-1 as this is the assumed
default character encoding, if none is set. Also the xlpage-utf-8.php script
will add such a meta tag for UTF-8, so, if someone uses these skins and
UTF-8, his page will end up with two conflicting meta tags for the charset. I
don't know how every browser will interpret this, but it is possible that the
page will not validate.

Thanks,
Petko