[pmwiki-users] OT: Graphics program to add to my Xmas wish list

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Tue Nov 20 14:07:53 CST 2007

Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 01:24:31PM -0500, Sandy wrote:
>> Is there a student-priced program to make images of text, using nice
>> fonts, colours, borders, effects, etc.?
>
> Cheapest there can be: free!
> GIMP is the premier open source graphics program.
> http://www.gimp.org
>
> It includes plugins that can do some nifty effects on text automatically
> (or you could do it by hand, but that would be more complicated,
> naturally)
>
> Now we return you to your regular scheduled PmWiki-ing...
>
> Kathryn Andersen

Wow! I looked at the tutorials on flying logos and golden text. That
Lightening-Effects plugin would probably do the raised border with
rounded corners that caught my attention in the first place. A few more
settings than I was looking for, but the tutorial and defaults look
good. Well worth learning, and it will serve other needs as well.

And the price? Yep, student-priced, and proof that open-source works!

Thanks muchly!

Sandy