[pmwiki-users] Editing modern greek pmwiki pages

sti at pooq.com sti at pooq.com
Wed Nov 21 13:52:16 CST 2007

Iannis Zannos wrote:
> In testing pmwiki as a beginner, I found that the text input in modern greek
> in an edit form for a new page the first time is displayed properly -- but:
> The second time one tries to edit that page, the edit form displays the
> greek text converted to iso-numbers for each character, so one can no longer
> read the text already input (from the previous time) to edit it. The same
> happens to Japanese text. The site I am editing must absolutely be able to
> accommodate western roman (for english) and modern greek text. Could you
> please tell me how to configure the page edit module to accomodate texts
> written in Greek?

The default for PmWiki is to use ISO-8859-1 encoding, which doesn't handle
Greek or Japanese characters. You need to switch to an encoding which supports
Them. UTF-8 is the one I'd recommend, as it supports both. You can see it
working by checking out the Greek main page on PmWiki:

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiEl/PmWikiEl

Changing to UTF-8 is easy, as you can find here:

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/UTF-8