[pmwiki-users] wiki etiquette for pmwiki documentation

Chris Cox ccox at airmail.net
Sun Oct 28 21:55:32 CDT 2007

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, Peter & Melodye Bowers wrote:
>
>> I have been making minor modifications to documentation of various
>> cookbook recipes and etc over the past few days whenever I find
>> anything that was unclear or something like that or making inline
>> comments when I find something that doesn't work as stated.  Then I
>> noticed that a lot of people don't make changes in the actual wiki
>> document but instead make comments at the bottom.  What is appropriate
>> etiquette in this community?
>
> In my opinion, and speaking for recipes I've authored, trivial
> improvements are ok if you just do them. Adding inline comments and
> questions should also be fine.  It's only if you wish to make major
> changes that I think you'd be better of preparing it as a draft, and
> then checking the with the maintainer that you haven't introduced
> something bad or incorrect.
>
>> Does it make a difference whether the "maintained by:" is filled in
>> perhaps?
>
> Hmm... well, if there's a maintainer and you add an important question
> etc, maybe it'd be a good idea to notify him?  Not sure about this.

It's a wiki.  If you find a perceived mistake... change it. If you
want to clarify something... change it.  If you want to add to the
page... change it.  That's what it's there for.

Disagreements are usually few and far between.  When a conflict
does arise, then it's appropriate to try to work things out... but
it is VERY rarely needed.

I've "corrected" things on Wikipedia, much to the chagrin of the
original author... the end result was a minor "back and forth"
until the resulting change (by the author) was even more clear
and accurate than my own "correction".  It's usually a positive
experience.