[pmwiki-users] Simple TimeStamper "tool"

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Sep 2 15:05:47 CDT 2007

Requirement:

A "tool" that posts a non-volatile date-time stamp
at the location of the user's cursor. In bold...

  This wants to be an additional icon
the existing GUI mark up icons in the edit window.

 From the GUI buttons to set mark up from icons at the
top of the page that targets selected text in the edit window
one would infer this to be doable.

Context:

developers are making notes on web server admin pages, updates etc.

Typically we top post on "chronology" pages that log
activity with links  to other pages if more detail is required.
This constitutes a rather unstructured (occasionally chaotic)
but effective "documentation"- we know the basics:
what happened, when it happened and details as needed.
if you need to look something up you can simply search the
wiki...

This minimalist system requires at least one formal element:

A date stamp at the point where someone
is making an entry.. this will typicallly be near the top.

But there are times when the entry could be anywhere
down the page (as when someone is commenting today
on an entry that may have been made 2 months ago...)

<Example: (this is a real entry)>

!!!Web Mirrors

'''Chronology, current issues'''

(latest entries on top, thank you)

--------
20070901-00:26 #time stamp here... I would prefer more human readable format

I went ahead and ran some commands to fix the file privs.
I also installed a script and cronned it for 01:00 nightly.
Commands that were run:

cd /Volumes/Varuna/WWW/*Sites
chown -R :staff *
chmod -R 664 *
-------------
</Example>

I could install EZdate

(:ezdate M j, Y h:i:s a:)

and get a human readable stamp: Apr 4, 2007 04:56:36 am

  but

1) still requires manual entry- we need a hot link in the edit window.
2) it's not clear to me if the user returns to the page if the recipe
retains the date when
it was first entered  (which is required)  or if the recipe will reflect
the current date
3) and I would prefer ISO standard: YYYY-MM-DD HH-MM-SS (which I believe
would
be possible with simply swapping around the format variables)

Ideas?

TIA

Sivakatirswami