[pmwiki-users] permission problems in safe mode

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Apr 15 18:47:17 CDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 06:42:48PM -0400, Jabba Laci wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few days ago our system admin. decided to put our PHP server in safe
> mode because of security reasons. Now, I have some problems. Through
> the wiki system I can create new pages, but I can't modify or remove
> them in console.
>
> drwxrwxr-x  2 www      www   4096 avr 15 16:39 Test
>
> host@~/pmwiki/wiki.d$ ls -al Test/
> total 20
> drwxrwxr-x  2 www      www 4096 avr 15 16:39 .
> drwxrwxrwx 43 jabba www 8192 avr 15 17:16 ..
> -rw-rw-r--  1 www      www   31 avr 15 16:39 .htaccess
> -rw-rw-r--  1 www      www  722 avr 15 16:39 Test.DeleteMe
> -rw-rw-r--  1 www      www  282 avr 15 16:39 Test.RecentChanges
>
> Test/ cannot be removed by my user (jabba), and I can't modify
> Test.DeleteMe either.

I suspect your sysadmin did more than just enable safe_mode --
it's likely that PHP's "chmod" function was disabled as well.
PmWiki normally changes file permissions to make sure that
the uid that owns the directory containing pmwiki.php
can also write to the files.  However, if the chmod function
has been disabled, PmWiki can't do that (and there's not
much that can be done short of getting the sysadmin to help
with permissions when you need it).