[pmwiki-users] Utility links, Fox forms, and PmForms

Randy Brown randy at brownragfilms.com
Thu Apr 17 11:14:01 CDT 2008

Hans,

I'm glad to see your improvements to Popup Window. I never tried that
recipe before because it requires users to enable javascript (which I
try to avoid) and because the documentation doesn't tell me which
options work in all browsers - only that some don't. I just tried it
now.

Alas, the old Fox recipe used to allow me to make a much more user-
friendly interface. The Popup Window recipe isn't as functional as
what I had before because:

1) the submit and cancel buttons don't close the popup window. Before,
Fox returned the user to the current page after the user pressed
submit or cancel. In fact, the current page was automatically
refreshed - which is important if it was the target of the addition.

2) the popup is a hybrid between a full page and a form window; as
such, page components such as the "Page last modified on..." footer
are confusing. I imagine there is a way to fix this using CSS, but I
don't know how to do that. Before the form didn't attempt to be
anything other than a page, and so nothing was confusing.

3) Left=center and Top=center didn't work in my (Safari) browser. If
the window pops up far away on a large screen the user may not even
notice it. Even if it's noticed, the user won't want to move the
cursor all the way across the screen and then back when done. Before
the user entered the input right where he or she was working.

I think Popup Window someday might be a good solution, if it ever
solves the problems I've noted above.

I assume you use it yourself. How do you deal with these problems?
Maybe it's more usable than I realize.

Randy