[pmwiki-users] Unit testing pmwiki markup code

Peter & Melodye Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Thu Apr 24 07:32:21 CDT 2008

> Has anyone out there figured out a way to do unit testing for your
> pmwiki markup code? If so, what tool do you use?

I would be *VERY* interested in something like this.  Currently I just have
dozens of pages in a wikitrail with expected output hardcoded followed by
the actual markup.  I have to go through by hand and examine each one line
by line, character by character. It is very time-consuming to do final
testing in preparation for a release and very prone to human error.

At one point I was thinking of using one of the HTML caching recipes and
then doing a comparison on that, but I believe that HTML can vary pretty
significantly (code-wise) while still appearing on the screen to be
identical.  Thus any update to PmWiki itself or even a recipe could result
in needing to regenerate each and every page and examine them by hand again.
Maybe there's no way around that?

If anyone has a better approach (or, better, a tool as suggested above) I
would be very grateful.

-Peter