[pmwiki-users] proposed markup for rowspan in simple tables

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Sun Aug 24 23:07:23 CDT 2008

On Monday, 25 August 2008 8:23 AM, john.rankin at affinity.co.nz wrote:
>> There's a small cognitive conflict in that the '==' markup sequence
>> is used to mean "heading" in many wiki markups, including Creole.
>> This includes table headings (where PmWiki currently uses ||!heading).
>> So, I'd prefer a different markup.
>
>The other option I considered is the underscore:
>
>||cell text ||___spanning text ||
>||text||
>||more||
>||aaa ||bbb ||
>
>One advantage of the underscore is that on my keyboard, both the
>| and _ characters require a shift, so it's easy to type.

On the other hand, how many underscore characters is this:
||_____rowspanning text||

A + seems a bit arbitrary and it means bigger in a different
context. The * and # denote list markup.

The ~ is taken for signatures.

But if we eliminate = because it means heading in Creole and
others, eliminate _ because they are hard to count visually,
and reject _n_ as inconsistent with the normal "repeat n times"
convention, I think it leaves the "least worst" as:
||++++text spanning 4 rows||

Any other suggestions?

--
JR