[pmwiki-users] long lines not word-wrapping

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Thu Feb 7 14:07:43 CST 2008

DaveG wrote:
>> Is it perhaps a skin issue?  On my own site I’m using triad (with or
>> without the right-bar) and I know I don’t have that problem…
> It happens because of the way the PRE tag is defined as being
> non-wrapping. When there is a long line contained in PRE tags (check out
> under the Examples heading), the width of the page expands to
> accommodate the non-wrapped PRE, which causes all other paragraphs to
> appear 'too wide'. In fact they aren't too wide -- they simply expand to
> fill the now wider than normal page.
>
> Some skins manage this by redefining the PRE and CODE tags to either
> allow wrapping, or to incorporate scrollbars around PRE content. Check
> out Blix (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Blix) for some examples.
>
>   ~ ~ Dave

There are probably spaces at the beginning of the line. The old default
was that spaces meant <pre>. (There was talk of changing the default.)

 From the sample config file:

##  Some sites may want leading spaces on markup lines to indicate
##  "preformatted text blocks", set $EnableWSPre=1 if you want to do
##  this.  Setting it to a higher number increases the number of
##  space characters required on a line to count as "preformatted text".
# $EnableWSPre = 0;  # PmWiki 2.2.0 default (disabled)
# $EnableWSPre = 1;  # lines beginning with space are preformatted
# $EnableWSPre = 4;  # lines with 4 spaces are preformatted

So, set it = 0. (Unless, of course, some of your authors have
intentionally used this feature, in which case you have a decision to make.)

Sandy