[pmwiki-users] RFC: URL Notepad

Sameer Kumar skumar at eharch.com
Mon Feb 11 19:08:10 CST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: pmwiki-users-bounces at pmichaud.com
[mailto:pmwiki-users-bounces at pmichaud.com] On Behalf Of DaveG
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 7:32 PM
To: PmWiki Users
Subject: [pmwiki-users] RFC: URL Notepad

I'm looking for additional ideas, and thoughts around a mechanism I use

to track URLs. Any thoughts around implementation approaches would also

be welcome. (I appreciate there are on-line tools that do similar things

-- having something as part of my existing notes system has a number of

advantages for me.)

== Current Use Case

In order to keep track of interesting articles that I come across on the

web, I send myself an email. The subject of the email will be a number

of words that I use as an index, prefixed by "URL: "; the body of the

email contains the URL (usually 1, very occasionally a list of URLs).

Then on my client I've defined a filter to move all emails with a

subject starting with "URL: " into a folder. That's it. I can now find

the URL's later with a simply subject line search.

== Current Challenges

What this doesn't get me is immediate visibility into URL's I haven't

remembered to look at; nor do I get to categorize the URL's by Research,

Reference, etc (although I could do this with additional subject words,

and filters). But mainly I don't have an online store for reference away

from my desk.

== New Use Case

So, what I'd like to be able to do is something like the following:

- click a bookmarklet in my browser

- enter 1 or more separated index terms

- enter one or more 'tags' (todo, urgent, reference, etc.) -- although

my feeling is that these are simply the same as the index terms above

- enter 1 (maybe more) URL

- have this info prefixed into a single wiki page [1]

=== Using the URL lists

- at some point after storing the link edit the link page and add

comments/notes or a reference to a notes wiki page.

- use pagelists to get a list of all URL's with specific index terms

- use categories to get a list of all URL's with specific index terms

== Wiki Page Format

Here's how I envision the format of of the page, but I'm open to

suggestions:

[[url | index terms]]: notes/comments

== Security

For now, I'm not too concerned with security -- although if anyone has

ideas around this please share. Currently my entire wiki is read

protected using PmWiki's basic built-in security.

[1] Although I'm not set on one page, I don't see any immediate benefits

to multi-pages. My initial thought was to have a single page for all

links. In deciding this I was assuming I could use a pagelist to extract

relevant lines within a page. I don't think this is possible though, in

which case we'd need to store one URL set per page.

Again, I'm not looking for some one to do this, more to get some

external thoughts around the idea, and some thoughts on implementation

approaches.

Oh, and thanks for getting all the way down here!

  ~ ~ Dave

You could consider a dedicated wikigroup and a wiki page for each
'entry'.

The way I am thinking about it, the only content in the wikipage would
be the URL and the category links. The page would be created through a
custom form where the name (some unique identifier), URL and multiple
'categories' are entered in predefined input boxes. Upon submit, the
form creates the page named as specified, automatically places the URL
in the first line (or between predefined #anchors) and adds the category
terms at the bottom of the page with the '[[!Category]]' markup.

Once the [[!Category]] markups have been put in, one can always click on
it and get a list of all the pages with that category link. The pagelist
format can be designed to include the first line of the page (or the
text wihin the #anchors) in the pagelist, thereby precluding the need to
open each page to see the included URL. A custom search could also be
created to search only within the group, with the resulting searchlist
also displaying with the same format as above.

The only limitation I see is that, AFAIK, there is no way of listing all
the categories that may be contained in these pages. So 'browsing' may
be difficult. Such a list would also help in the input for categories
for new entries. I am thinking of how the Delicious form gives a list of
all previous 'tags'.

I have recently worked with Fox forms (and other Fox recipes) and I
think most of the above can be achieved through it. If you think you
want to explore that direction, I could share some more thoughts. Of
course, we also have Hans, the authority on Fox, around to get help
from!

Sameer