[pmwiki-users] Duplicate email notification

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Wed Feb 13 11:45:10 CST 2008

Wednesday, February 13, 2008, 5:30:21 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> This is probably the source of the difficulty -- NotifyUpdate
> really doesn't expect to be called more than once in a given
> session.  But if multiple pages are being updated via UpdatePage(),
> then it would get reigstered multiple times and result in multiple
> postings.  And if squelch is zero, or the squelch period has passed,
> then this could potentially generate multiple email messages for
> the same post.

I find it quite alright that for multiple page postings multiple
notifications are generated. If squelch is set to zero it will come as
a burst of emails.

Randy's problem was that he got duplicates of the same notification.
After a lengthy investigation we found that a change in notify.php
would stop that behaviour:

changing this in notify.php:

##   check if we need to do notifications
if ($action != 'edit') NotifyCheck($pagename);

to this:

##   check if we need to do notifications
if ($action!='edit' && $action!='foxpost' && $action!='foxdelete'
      && $action!='comment')
         NotifyCheck($pagename);

Then Fox and Commentboxplus will not generate a NotifyCheck.
and he had the problem of duplicates specifically with fox and
commentboxplus postings, which use the actions included above.

Why his server's mailing system (or php or what) creates duplicates,
but not my or other folks system, I don't know. The hack works, but
the reason for the problem is not found yet.

  ~Hans