[pmwiki-users] MySQL and Notify?

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Sun Feb 17 10:46:48 CST 2008

Saturday, February 16, 2008, 8:00:21 PM, Ben Stallings wrote:

> On the other hand, the DataStore::read() function (which presents a
> record retrieved from a database as page text variables) uses only one
> markup (the one used by ZAP), (:HiddenPTV:value:)

> In my experience that markup works just fine for multiple-line values as
> well as single-line values, so I'm not sure why you have a separate
> markup for multiple lines.  If there is some reason to use different
> markup, the place to intervene would be the $fore and $aft variables at
> the end of the DataStore::read() function.

The main reason is that a hidden PTV (:ptv: data:) cannot contain
markup directives, since any directive will terminate the PTV markup:

   (:ptv: data example (:cell:) cell data:)

will break to (:ptv: data example (:cell:)

Using PTVs as storage for forum messages makes it necessary to have a
markup which can handle posting of directive markup. Probably the most
robust markup would be to use anchored sections as PTVs, as the end of
a section can be tied to the beginning, so it will not break in most
circumstances.

  ~Hans