[pmwiki-users] Foxreplace syntax

Randy randy at brownragfilms.com
Sun Jan 20 05:41:21 CST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 4:10 AM, Hans wrote:

> please read http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Fox#parameters
> and let me know what you don't understand.

I've read that section numerous times. I find the whole page very
confusing.  Here's a couple of examples:

1) Normally I would expect documentation to tell me the basic format
and then the parameters referenced in the format. But it seems like
there are "special markups" between those. I don't know what a special
markup is. An alternate way of specifying a form?

Is (:fox formname etc.:) still required, or does (:foxreplace...:)
takes its place?

2) It's not clear what "foxaction=replace" means. There's no mention
of "foxaction" in the basic format. Is that something I literally put
somewhere on some line?

Anyway, I can see that Fox is is a wonderful and powerful tool - if
you know how to use it. I would like to learn.

Let's take a very simple case of replacement. Suppose I want to change
all occurances of "Old" to "New" in MyGroup.Sandbox. To make it really
easy, let's put the form on MyGroup.Sandbox too.

The page has:

[[#MySection]]
Old1
Old2
[[#MySectionend]]

Here's what I would guess is the first line of the form:

(:fox form1 put=all mark="Old" template=0
target=MyGroup.Sandbox#MySection:)

I'd guess there is a (:foxreplace:) and a (:foxtemplate "New":) to
specify before the final (:foxend form1:)

Am I close? Can you show me a complete working sample of code to do
the above task (a picture is worth a thousand words...)?

Randy