[pmwiki-users] markup expression output handling

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Thu Jan 24 12:30:34 CST 2008

Wednesday, January 23, 2008, 8:31:20 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Your best bet is to get TagTest() to always return PmWiki markup
> that does what you want, and let the later markup rendering
> handle it from there.  In the case of newlines, that probably means
> generating \\\'s at the end of lines to produce the blank space
> in the output:

>     function TagTest() {
>         return"Hello\\\\\\\nagain";
>     }

Thank you! This got me on the right track.

Unfortunately generating \\ or \\\ is not solving the rendering
problem, since for instance a following line with * list item
will not be treated as a list item, but the bullet will appear as *

So I solved the problem by creating a (:spacer:) markup, which sets an
empty div, and if linebreaks are switched on, does nothing.
that way I do not need to force linebreaks.

Of course when the output gets written to a page, the (:spacer:)
markup gets written too. But that is just the same when adding a line
with \\\\\\ or
 or

This can be cleaned up by using a special markup expression.

  ~Hans