[pmwiki-users] New Recipe: Text Extract

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Mon Jan 28 17:42:59 CST 2008

Monday, January 28, 2008, 11:18:50 PM, Matt Strauser wrote:

> For what it's worth - I wonder if you will need to take care of special
> situations like if a person put "*" in both of the search fields?

> I know it is a strange thing to do, but people do strange things :)

Yes we do!

I am sure it is possible to create pretty impossible situations.
If the pagelist gets too big because of wildcard use like
*.*  = search all pages, then we run into a php execution timout
error, which is a white screen of death!

I tried to prevent this by including a timer which can break the
process, before the php timeout is reached. But it did work very
badly, because it could only time the process of text extraction, but
not of final markup to HTML generation, which can take some time!

So I gave up on this idea. It simply is far too difficult to make
errors impossible.

But I am interested to learn which kind of input should really be
prevented.

  ~Hans