[pmwiki-users] Web for mobiles -- Apple sold over 1 million iPhones last weekend...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jul 14 15:43:02 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 09:43:06PM +0200, kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:
> I suggest that we:
>
>   - Add a "mobile" command next to the "print" one. I do not see any
> reason why we should have a customized "experience" for printing
> devices and should not, instead, for mobile devices.

I agree we can customize output for mobile devices, but it shouldn't
require a separate command.  Instead, the site (or skin or whatever)
can detect that the request is coming from a mobile device and alter
the display accordingly.

>   - Provide a %nomobile% (and/or >>nomobile<<) markup in order to
> exclude certain parts of the page which we deem not appropriate for
> mobiles. As an example, in the pmwiki.org homepage the advertising
> inside the sidebar could be marked
>      >>nomobile<<
>      (:ad adsense-1:)
>      >><<
> thus excluding it from the mobile view.

Is there a css selector property for mobile devices?  If so, we
should use that.  Also, instead of using a div, a far better solution
is something like (:if mobile:)...(:if:), if only because it reduces
the amount of information being returned to a mobile device.

> Does anybody know how to (correctly) enable an ?action=mobile command
> which invokes a /mobile/ skin the same way ?action=print does, please?

Just set $ActionSkin['mobile'] to the name of the skin(s)
you want to use when a page is requested with ?action=mobile.
(That's how ?action=print works, see line 18 of scripts/skins.php .)