[pmwiki-users] How to protect against vandalism?

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Sun Jul 20 07:12:13 CDT 2008

> we have some vandalism on our wiki. Someone is emptying pages
> or replacing the content with nonsense. Actually we don't want to
> change the open wiki to a wiki with authentification, so we block each
> time his IP (it's always the same person). But with changing IPs we
> have to block always the new one. What other possibilities are they?
> Is there a possibility to automaticly block a user who changes more
> than X Pages in Y time? or something like this?

I'm sad to acknowledge that vandalize an open wiki is too an easy task
for anyone targeting at it.
And this is especially true when there is no (or even just a small)
community behind the wiki.
I am afraid that password protecting edits is the only way, in most cases.

You might try also the "approve edits" way: in case the wiki is small
and changes are not too many, the system might check for a whitelist
and, should the IP be not in the list, an email is sent to you with a
link to approve the edit.

But I would go for the password...

Luigi