[pmwiki-users] Xhtml 1.0 Strict

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jun 27 13:15:16 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 06:48:33PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Friday, June 27, 2008, 6:18:17 PM, Hans wrote:
>
> > a brief googling about target=blank versus XHTML strict
> > suggests that one needs to employ javascript to open a new window
> > when clicking a link, to be XHTML strict complient.
>
> instead of  <a target='_blank'  class='urllink'
>
> <a onclick=\"window.open(this.href,'_blank');return false;\" class='urllink'

...thus replacing some non-strict XHTML attribute with some
non-strict (and more complex, and potentially unsafe) Javascript.

This is one of those areas where I think that a strict adherence
to standards leads to completely absurd outcomes.  Still, I recognize
that there are people who don't have a choice in the matter, so
perhaps we can come up with a recipe to get %target=whatever% to
generate the javascript above instead.