[pmwiki-users] Putting a Colon in a Definition List?

Andrew Standfield andy at scruffyco.com
Thu Mar 13 12:46:16 CDT 2008

Oh my...

I have text that uses a colon which I want to put in a definition
list (specifically in the Definition Term). The problem is, that the
colon terminates the dt tag. The result (which is kind of
interesting) is that the character immediately following the colon
then appears as the first character of the dd.

So, if i were to markup the following:

	:Lions::King of the jungle cats:

The result would look something like this:

	Lions
		:King of the jungle cats

As opposed to the expected:

	Lions:
		King of the jungle cats

This markup:

	:"Lions:":King of the jungle cats:

Would produce:

	"Lions
		":King of the jungle cats

I tried using the HTML entity: &58; (if your email program parses
that in to an actual colon... I wrote "ampersand 58 semicolon") but
it merely output the code (i.e. it literally output "&58;")

I'm at a loss of what to do. Is there anyplace where I can define
entities? The SpecialCharactersList (http://www.pmwiki.com/wiki/
PmWiki/SpecialCharactersList) does not list the colon and says that
these entities are defined in RSS.php; a file I can not find (looked
in /scripts/).

Thanks,

Andy