[pmwiki-users] To all Fox users

Vince Administration vadmin at math.uconn.edu
Sat Mar 15 15:18:56 CDT 2008

On Mar 15, 2008, at 3:58 PM, Hans wrote:

> I am considering a big change in how Fox gets configured, and would
> like your feedback on this please.
>
> At present fox.php has  a bunch of global configuration variables set
> with SDV. Customisations to any of these need to be done before
> fox.php is included. This leads to problems when one wants to set
> customisations via a local/Group.php or local/Group.Page.php file
> and fox.php is included in the config.php file. Any such
> customisations are ignored, because they come too late. And an admin
> may not even be aware of this, which may lead to unwanted security
> settings.
>
> So I am thinking of changing all this by using a single array variable
> $Fox (or $FoxConfig?) for all configuration settings,
> and the defaults are set with SDVA in fox.php.
> That way one can set configurations after the fox.php script is
> included.
> local/Group.php and local/Group.Page.php settings will work.
>
> But it means a change to all existing configurations is needed.
>
> For instance
>
>   $FoxAuth = 'read';
>
> would need to be changed to something like
>
>   $Fox['auth'] = 'read';
>
> Is this a good idea, even though it breaks existing configuration
> settings? Is there another solution?
> What do you think?
>

>   ~Hans

Hans,
This actually sounds like a good idea. Then settings would not be
depending on where the variables are set.
This is more important for Fox, because there are lots of variables.
But what I would suggest is that
you call the array FoxConfig, and not just Fox, and also to populate
the array with the
entries from the variables. What I mean is that when fox.php is
called, it checks which (scalar) variables have been
set, and fills in the appropriate entries in the array. This way
present usage will not break.
       Vince