[pmwiki-users] Directing users to the wiki homepage

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 11:56:18 CDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Christophe David
<pmwiki at christophedavid.org> wrote:
>> Is there a way I can direct users who come to the wiki through the side door
>> (i.e. a previously bookmarked page) to the wiki homepage and then perhaps
>> allow them to get to the original target page?
>> I'd be interested to hear if other wiki admins have solved this situation in
>> other ways too .
>
> You could set a cookie on the home page, and test its presence from
> all other pages.  If not set, then redirect.
>
> But I would personally consider such a behavior as a major annoyance.
>
> A clearly visible note/link in the sidebar would probably be more user
> friendly...

I agree -- as a visitor, rather than be yanked from my intended
destination to the site's Main/HomePage, I'd prefer to see a section
in a header or sidebar that will display on all pages (or all pages to
which visitors might be jumping directly) that either provides the
news you want me to have OR provides a link to that material, possibly
with some indication of what the news is or how recently it's changed.