[pmwiki-users] Group Edit broken by default 'edit' password in config.php

dan mihai dnmh68 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 2 23:56:31 CDT 2008

Hello,

I am new to Wiki and I get the following problem. Simply the presence of the line
 $DefaultPasswords['read'] = crypt('secret1');
in config.php seems to break editing in an unrelated place.

Here is my scenario:
1) I created a group [[GPublic/GPublic]]
which I want to share GPublic with some friends, under a password.
I intend to keep the rest of the wiki private.
2) So, I used GPublig.GroupAttributes?action=attr
to setup a password for the new group.

At this point when I access GPublic (using the new group password),
I get the usual "*View *Edit *History *Print *Backlinks "
menu on top right of page and also a similar one under the page.
If I click 'Edit', it works fine, as expected.

Now, HERE IS THE PROBLEM: as soon as I add
  $DefaultPasswords['read'] = crypt('secret1');
to config.php, and I reload GPublic, the menu on top left page disapears,
and when I hit 'Edit' on bottom page I get:
------------------
PmWiki can't process your request

?unable to retrieve edit form Site.EditForm

We are sorry for any inconvenience.

More information

Return to http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~luchaup/pmwiki/pmwiki.php

Can anyone, please, explain this behavior?
More importantly, can anyone, please, tell me how to grant password-based access
(including Edit) to a new Group in such a way that the rest of the Wiki is not accessible?

Thank you,
Daniel