[pmwiki-users] Bulk file uploads to PmWiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 11 16:58:08 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 10:43:21AM -0700, Karl Schilke wrote:
> I have a collection of ~750 scientific papers in .PDF format that I'd
> like to upload to our PmWiki. As a user, I don't have write access to
> the directory (wikiroot/files/Papers.Main/) in which I want to put the
> files, so I can't just copy the PDF's into place. Is there an easy way
> to upload 750 files into PmWiki?

There's not an easy way to do it through PmWiki itself.  Your
best bet would normally be to copy them into the directory somehow,
but given below...

> One other thing -- I'd like to make a Markup() rule to allow me to
> easily cite/link to these papers. I imagine writing something like:
>
>      While Davies and coworkers (1999; Papers:Davies1999.pdf) found that ...

Instead of using a markup rule, use an InterMap shortcut.  Then
these files can exist pretty much anywhere on the web that you
want.  For example, you can upload all of the files into any
web accessible directory (that you own), and then in Site.InterMap
you can add

    Papers:    http://yourserver.edu/path/to/$1

Then when you write  "Papers:Davies1999.pdf" it would automatically
be translated into a link to http://yourserver.edu/path/to/Davies1999.pdf .

See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/InterMap for more details
(or ask on the list).

Hope this helps!

Pm

P.S.:  Should you decide you still want to have the files in
PmWiki's upload directory (and can get them there), the Site.InterMap
approach is still an easy way to be able to provide an alias instead
of a separate markup rule.