[pmwiki-users] Howto go from PmWiki Demo Main.HomePage to BlogIt in 30 min?

Tim megustasf at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 14:33:04 CDT 2009

Hi,

I am a complete rookie to the wiki blogging environment. I downloaded PmWiki to
my linux box, got it configured and was able to get the PmWiki Main.HomePage
up and running in just a few minutes. I can add pages to it, make some simple
edits ...

I changed the skin to Gemini and added a blogcal to the Site.RightBar and
wow I had a little calendar. I saw a link under the gemini skin in the cookbook
for
[[http://www.all-my-world.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=AllMyWorldBlog.AllMyWorldBlog?year=2009&month=01
| Ray's World]] Then I thought it would be great to click on the
calendar dates and go to blog entries, maybe even show a couple of the latest
entries under the calendar. Turns out blogcalendar offers this, cool. But I have
no Idea how to do it, nor how to get blog entries. So I went to the next
blog item in the cookbook. BlogIt.

I checked out the sample sites, downloaded the
zips for pmforms and blogit, and edited the config.php file. Then I saw the part
about only supporting a limited set of skins, so I downloaded GlossyHue and
installed it, and changed the skin in config.php. That turned the Demo
Main.HomePage into something not very readable. I edited the Main.HomePage and
added your [[http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/BlogIt |Main Blog Summary
Page]] suggestions but I don't see anything.

I'm sure I have probably made some rookie mistake, but I don't know what it is
and I don't know what to search for. My goal here is to just have an internal
LAN Wiki/Blog that I can use to document steps taken to do certain tasks, such
as bring up a linux box.

Sorry for the long post ...

My question is How do I go from a fresh PmWiki install to having some basic blog
with blogIt in 30 minutes.

Thanks,
Tim