[pmwiki-users] Javascript to require "Summary" for changes

Karl Schilke schilkek at onid.orst.edu
Fri Apr 24 12:17:30 CDT 2009

I have to assume I'm not alone in that I constantly forget to enter a
Summary statement when I make edits on our PmWiki. I use RCS and CVS
religiously, and I suppose I got spoiled by being explicitly prompted
to enter a comment. I've tried the RequireSummary cookbook, but the
HTML error message gets mixed up with the GUIbuttons in my skin, so
it's not immediately obvious why the edit wasn't accepted.

Is there a simple way to add a Javascript pop-up if the Summary field
is blank? It could just display a message ("You must include a Summary
for this change") and deny the edit. Better yet, it could request the
summary text, insert it into the proper field, and then finish the
submit.

I'm a kernel and perl programmer, so I don't know much about
Javascript or I'd do this myself. Does anyone have such a thing
already coded?

Thanks!

     -Karl Schilke, Oregon State University

--
"Every complex problem has a solution that is simple, direct,
plausible and wrong." -H.L. Mencken