[pmwiki-users] comment spam and blogs

Maria McKinley parody at u.washington.edu
Tue Apr 28 14:32:47 CDT 2009

Hello,

I am having a very hard time controlling spam on my blog. I am using a
numerical access code and the blocklist stuff

Here is the configuration for blocklist in config.php:

## Attempting to block spam
$EnableBlocklist = 10;
$EnableWhyBlocked = 1;
$BlocklistDownload["$SiteAdminGroup.Blocklist-PmWiki"] = array('format' =>
'pmwiki');
$BlocklistDownloadRefresh = 86400 * 1;
$BlocklistActions['comment'] = 1;

I made an assumption about the BlocklistDownloadRefresh rate, since it isn't
explicit in the documentation how to set it for anything but once a week. I
think that the above should make it download once a day, but not sure.

I am also using urlapprove.php, which successfully blocks the the urls from
being linked, but doesn't stop the page from being saved if there are more
than 5 unapproved urls. I think fixing this alone may be enough for me.

Does the captcha work better than the access code? Maybe I should switch to
that? In general I find the captcha stuff annoying, but if I have to do it,
it is better than checking my blog constantly to delete unwanted comments.

Any ideas would be most welcome, as this is such an annoying problem.

cheers,
maria