[pmwiki-users] [[!topic |link text]]

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Apr 29 19:29:24 CDT 2009

>> I'm not going to say "yeah" or "nay", just point out that
>> [[!X]] already becomes the category link... the question (I think)
>> was with regards to alternative naming of the link.. so
>> we want to say [[!X|What X is]], which doesn't work.
>
>If that's what was being asked-- because I didn't understand the
>original question either-- then the latter suggested behavior
>[[!X|Label Here]] is a good idea!

>--
>Chris Lott

IMO, [[!X|What X is]] should link to the Category.X page
and display "What X is".

Sorry for my lack of clarity. My question arose because
[[!X|What X is]] works, but not in the way I expected.
It links to page X in the current group, whereas I had
expected it to link to Category.X.

However, I found that if some other link-related recipes
are activated, it links to a page called XWhatXIs in the
Category group, and displays "X|What X is" as the link text.

This is because both ! markup and | markup evaluate before
[[ markup. Depending on what other rules are set, sometimes
! will evaluate first and sometimes | will come first.

If | evaluates first, it treats ! as a disallowed character,
removes it, and links to a page in the current group.

If ! evaluates first, it treats | as a disallowed character,
removes it, and links to a page in the Category group.

IMO this is a bug in pmwiki's category markup rule.

JR
--
John Rankin