[pmwiki-users] Recommended recipes?

Vince Administration vadmin at math.uconn.edu
Fri Aug 28 08:58:41 CDT 2009

On Aug 28, 2009, at 8:55 AM, Twylite wrote:

> Thanks Ray,
>> In my experience pmwiki lends itself well to starting simple,
>> sandboxing, adding functionality as you recognise the need.
>>
>> Unless your needs are very simple, or your mind is very disciplined,
>> you ain't going to get it right first time...and that is not a crime.
> This is pretty much what I am planning to do, but I realised quite
> early
> in the process that there are a number of decisions that can be quite
> costly (time, effort) if I don't get them right from the start:
>
> * Changing the linking scheme of the Wiki to an
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AlternateNamingScheme or even to
> disable CamelCaseLinks needs to be done from the start.
> CamelCaseLinks
> could be enabled later, but not disabled without a significant
> probability of destroying existing links.

Well, I started with CamelCaseLinks enabled, way back when that was
how you did things. I have found that, for my sites, they cause more
trouble than they are worth. So I have disabled them systemwide, but
enabled them for the groups that need them.
> * PageStore changes such as
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PerGroupSubDirectories can be
> awkward to introduce once many pages exist.  Changing where uploads
> are
> stored as in http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/UploadPlus would be
> extremely difficult to automate.
I did this, and it was not difficult.  Just used a shell script. But I
would say for a small site, it makes no difference, and for a large
one, you probably want to use per group subdirectories. It of course
depends on the
geometry of your system.  If I were creating a new site, and I
expected it to be reasonably large, I would use per group
subdirectories.

> I try to keep my approach disciplined, even if my mind isn't ;)
This is the best comment I have seen in a while.
         Vince