[pmwiki-users] Google analytics

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sat Aug 29 04:45:11 CDT 2009

On Saturday 29 August 2009 10:49:36 Steven Benmosh wrote:
> I have been using 2.2.1 for a long time, probably a couple of years,

Version 2.2.1 was released in March this year, so you probably had an even
earlier version. Maybe 2.1.27?

> without changes. Since I installed the latest version (I think it was
> 2.2.4, about a week or two ago, and then there was a newer release which I
> installed yesterday 2.2.5), I am getting reports telling me that there were
> no visitors to the site. When I go to adsense.google.com, I can see that
> there were page impressions, so I know people can and do access the site.
> Yet I have errors having to do with blocked URL. I have not had such
> problems with the older version.

PmWiki.org uses Google Analytics and it seems to work fine for us.

> Does anyone have any idea if this may be the result of permission changes,
> or robots policy changes between the 2.2.4 and the older version 2.2.1?
> Any other idea what might be causing this?

Your skin doesn't seem to have the Google Analytics snippet which should look
like this:
  <script src='http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js'
     type='text/javascript'></script>
  <script type='text/javascript'>
    _uacct = 'UA-1234567-1';
    urchinTracker();
  </script>

This should be either in the skin template, or in a $HTMLHeaderFmt[] variable
in config.php.

You are using the default PmWiki skin and if you had modified it, it might
have been replaced by the upgrade. You should normally copy the default skin
files to another directory, say myskin, add to config.php  $Skin = 'myskin';
and modify these files instead of the default ones. (You may read the README
document in the skin folder.)

Thanks,
Petko