[pmwiki-users] .htaccess help (possibly CPanel)

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Wed Feb 4 15:48:40 CST 2009

Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud <at> pobox.com> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 10:13:31AM -0500, Sandy wrote:
> > THE HTACCESS FILES, starting from the lowest directory. I'd expect the
> > lowest to be the problem, since things that use the higher directories
> > are working just fine.
> >

> In fact, you might try renaming all of the .htaccess files to
> something else to make sure you can get to the file
> even when none of the .htaccess files are in place.  Then put
> them back one-at-a-time to see which one is causing the issue.

Success!

I worked from bottom up, and pmwiki/.htaccess was the one.

Options All -Indexes  was at the end of line, and then
Options All  on a new line.

I doubt I was asleep enough to do that myself, so I blame cPanel.

Now to recheck all the .htaccess files for all wikis and all the levels. I
suspect cPanel did other unnecessary things. Delete the ones that aren't needed,
and add Options -Index in a few key places. (Lowest wins is frustrating for
global changes, but I see why they did it that way.)

First, though, a proper backup, and one step at a time.

Many thanks to both of you. It's a much more comfortable to experiment
(absolutely necessary when learning) when there's a safety net.

Sandy