[pmwiki-users] Re-thinking Intro to markup pages

john.rankin at affinity.co.nz john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Feb 17 23:07:23 CST 2009

> John Rankin wrote:
>
>>I have created a draft Creole-based introduction page at:
>>http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiCreole/EditingForNewcomers
>
> [...]
>
> Just my personal preference: I like the two column appearance (What to
> type - What it looks like) in BasicEditing more. It is very clear and
> IMO perfectly well suited to demonstrate markup.

Sure, that can be done with a series of simple tables. However, my
preference is still to have the markup rules on one page, with
separate short pages for each kind of markup. But I accept that
nobody else thinks this is a good approach.

> BTW: Even the Creole pages use special markup to distinct markup from
> result.

I believe this is incorrect -- Creole uses the pre-formatted text
markup to do this. As it also uses the widely-used "boxed pre"
style, is very clear. In my view, the biggest problem with the
draft EditingForNewcomers page is the default styles, rather than
the layout.

Any site that has customised the pre style will be using a local
template, so changing pmwiki's default css should have no impact.

> [...]
>
>>The Creole documentation is inconsistent in a few places.
>
> Of course. And the Creole pages don't explain the markup very well for
> a beginner. They are made for the wiki developer, not for the user.
>
> Therefore I'm afraid that a beginner misses a lot of essential
> information in PmWikiCreole/EditingForNewcomers.

Then I am clearly wasting my time and am the wrong person to do this.
I wish you well with your efforts.