[pmwiki-users] line break keeping page store (repost)

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Tue Jan 20 11:34:35 CST 2009

"Peter Bowers" wrote:

>> There are great visual diff tools like KDiff3, Meld, Beyond Compare,
>> WinMerge, CSDiff..., but without linebreaks, they are much less
>> useful.
>
>WikiSh includes a diff command.  It's not as nice as the much more mature

you already suggested this 2008-03-12, but as I wrote then, it's not
helpful, because it doesn't allow:

* comparison between two arbitrary sources, e.g. page files accessed
by ftp <-> local file access (or another wiki).

* interactive ("visual") compare and merge.

With a good compare tool (e.g. Beyond Compare, EC Merge and the free
KDiff3), you can access two files locally or via FTP/SFTP and edit in
both panes while the differences are marked in realtime. These tools
are invaluable.

Migration to a new version, promoting changes, backups, everything is
possible very _efficiently_ with these tools.

[...]

>There are also shell scripts which will convert your pages into regular text

...and also in reverse. I could even integrate such filters in Beyond
Compare, but since I received positive feedback, I didn't start it
yet.

I still think that a format better readable by humans has several
advantages.

Oliver