[pmwiki-users] User rating of cookbook recipes

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jan 20 15:54:04 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 01:35:38PM -0800, pmwiki at 911networks.com wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:02:08 -0600
> "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > I agree that it would greatly help to make AutUser easier to
> > understand, and we need to do that.  But so far most of the
> > descriptions I've seen about "the right way to set up AuthUser"
> > end up being wrong for about 50% of the people looking to use it.
>
> That wasn't what I meant. What I would like is that you (meaning PM
> or the "higher-ups" or the "knowledgeable ones") decide that:
> 1. This is our preferred way. (Preferred does not mean the best way.)
> [...]

But this is exactly my point -- there's not just one "preferred way".
The preferred way is usually within the context of "What are you
trying to achieve?"

If this group manages to come up with a consensus of exactly
what user authentication should look like, then perhaps we can
publish that.  In the past that hasn't happened -- there's not
a consensus opinion as to even what the "preferred" setup should be.

Put another way:  If you want *my* strictly personal idea of a
"preferred setup", then my answer is going to be that I don't want
user-based authentication on any of the sites I run.  That
approach has worked _extremely_ well for me for all of the sites
I manage, and it's what PmWiki supports "out of the box".  :-)