[pmwiki-users] Pre-announcing 2.2.0 non-beta release

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Jan 20 18:56:49 CST 2009

>Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:09:55 -0600
>From: "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com>
>Subject: Re: [pmwiki-users] Pre-announcing 2.2.0 non-beta release,	new
>	release manager

<snip>

>Here are some questions that will need answering:
>
>1.  Once a recipe is adopted into the basic distribution,
>who is responsible for maintaining that recipe and verifying
>that it works with subsequent versions of PmWiki?

>From experience, I can attest to the challenges this question
raises. Two anecdotes:

- once, a change deep in the bowels of HandleEdit opened a
  security hole in commentbox/commentboxplus recipe; it was
  easily and quickly closed, but only discovered by accident
  by a person who then posted outraged (and fully justfied)
  comments on the recipe page

- moving PublishPDF from 2.1 to 2.2 took hours of testing, and
  mere minutes of bug fixing (I didn't know what I didn't know,
  so I had to test everything, even though only a couple of
  small things broke)

Just because most things *don't* break, one isn't absolved of
the responsibility to test, in case they do.

Pm's other questions are equally hard and I have no answers.

JR
--
John Rankin
Affinity Limited