[pmwiki-users] Documentation of Recipes (was: Pre-announcing 2.2.0...)

Michael Shanley mike at upisup.com
Wed Jan 21 08:30:43 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 2:29 AM, Petko Yotov <5ko at 5ko.fr> wrote:

> > Right now, the appropriate category to use is probably [[!recipe]]
> > or [[!skin]] for skin documentation.
>
> I prefer [[!PmWiki Recipe]] and/or [[!PmWiki Skin]]. Wikis could be used
> for
> other things like food recipes, or software packages and skins, we
> shouldn't
> occupy categories that might have other uses by the websites.
>

> > Does this seem like a reasonable approach? If so, I can add it to
> > the module guidelines page. And I suggest somewhere in the PmWiki
> > documentation (i.e. in wikilib.d/) there could be a page that lists
> > pages in the [[!recipe]] category, so readers can discover what's
> > installed above and beyond the standard pmwiki distribution.
>
> Excellent idea, but let's first hear what others think. OTOH, if you are
> the
> author of the only recipe that ships with documentation, you can probably
> do
> what you feel is correct and common sense. :-)
>
> Thanks for pushing for improvements of PmWiki !!

It seems like using the CategoryGroup steps on the integrity of the wiki a
bit, doesn't it? I mean, this presumes that *most* end users should be able
to see what recipes and skins are installed on a wiki, which, even given
authorization, still pollutes an otherwise untainted space.

As it is, there is already a confused mush in the SiteGroup and
SiteAdminGroup. SiteAdmin/ has very little of importance in it, while Site/
has a mush of things that don't really go together. When would the SideBar,
PageActions, and the popular SiteHeader/SiteFooter pages sit right with
Preferences, PageNotFound, Search, etc?

I don't know if any of you see the ambivalence of pages that end users would
or SHOULD EDIT with pages that end users should be BLIND to.

Now, if I could make a strong suggestion as to future organization, I might
think it wise to put all of the set-and-forget stuff -- the pages that by
default should be password protected -- to the SiteAdmin group... which
includes .Recipes and .Skins ...and use the Site group only for those pages
which by default should be editable... aka, low-level building blocks of the
site. After all, we can easily envision countless sites that would allow for
SideBar editing, and only see situations in which the EditForm or Recipes
pages should be hidden.

To consider allowing administration to bleed into the category group...
that's madness...
Or maybe this is like all those twilight zone episodes, and we're all
supposed to have pig faces! ;)

Mike