[pmwiki-users] User rating of cookbook recipes

Eemeli Aro eemeli at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 15:57:21 CST 2009

2009/1/20 Hans <design5 at softflow.co.uk>:
> I think it would be good to see which recipes are most popular, like
> a top 30 list perhaps.
>
> Rating is just one mechanism for this, another may be to show download
> numbers, for recipes one needs to download. But this leaves out the
> ones which are not for downloading.

Personally, I think rating recipes is too much of a hassle. Actual
useage, though, should correlate rather well with the quality and
usefulness of a recipe. Hence, how about providing three numbers:

* number of, say, monthly views for a recipe's page (excluding bots,
from unique IPs, etc.)
* number of downloads for attached files (excluding bots, from unique IPs, etc.)
* number of using-this-recipe links.

This last one could be just a count of links from pages in the
Profiles group to the recipe page, or perhaps something slightly more
complex, such as category links with this recipe's name as the
category.

Of course these won't tell the whole story and they'll be inaccurate
and so on, but they'll be at least indicative, as well as requiring
minimal work from users to implement.

eemeli