[pmwiki-users] Self registration

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 22 16:14:27 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:38:00PM +0100, kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:
> Ok, it is a magic of the internet (and much kindness from him) that
> Patrick, a super-expert in the matter, engages talks with me, a
> sub-newbie. I am sorry that I cannot "keep his pace": too much
> difference in level, skills, attitudes.
> :-)

:-)

> Now, if I happened to quote right and in the proper context here, I am
> under the *very* impression that his well-informed
> experience/knowledge is casting *many* votes to the Profile-based
> system.
>
> Am I wrong?

You're not exactly right, at least.  Peter Bowers had asked the
question "Is there an advantage to putting authentication & user-info
data in the profile page?"  and I was simply answering that question.
I can come up with equally strong arguments for casting votes to the
all-in-one SiteAdmin.AuthUser-based approach.  :-) :-)

That's why earlier in the week I said:

    I agree that we need a way to update passwords without
    administrator intervention.  There has been some discussion
    as to whether passwords belong in individual Profile or
    "user preferences" pages, or if they belong in a global
    file such as SiteAdmin.AuthUser .  Even after thinking
    about it for many years, I'm not sure I know the answer to
    that one yet. [1]

(Place emphasis on the last sentence. :-)

[1] http://www.pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2009-January/053367.html