[pmwiki-users] Pre-announcing 2.2.0 non-beta release

Eemeli Aro eemeli at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 02:04:32 CST 2009

2009/1/23 John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz>:
> On Friday, 23 January 2009 3:38 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>>I completely agree that we should start with a simple approach
>>and extend it.  Perhaps a simple link to add an endorsement
>>is our best first step.
>
> I have to say that I prefer "Friend" as a term.

I'd like to cast my vote for the endorsement camp. In his
counter-argument John managed to point out almost all the points I'd
make for this, but I'd like to add two more:

Friendship implies a reciprocal relationship. Endorsement is much more
clearly unidirectional thing.

Related to this, I have conceptual trouble understanding how I can be
a "friend" of a cookbook recipe. Endorsing one I can understand
perfectly well, though. The word is a bit long, admittedly, but I
can't think of a better one.

> - what would I be endorsing exactly? that it's secure, or bug free,
>  or the maintainer(s) are responsive to questions -- without a
>  comment, a reader wouldn't know what was being endorsed

So there should be an opportunity to add such a comment to an
endorsement -- or whatever term is picked. In fact, that comment ought
to by default include a mention of the current version of the recipe.

eemeli