[pmwiki-users] Pre-announcing 2.2.0 non-beta release

john.rankin at affinity.co.nz john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Fri Jan 23 14:17:12 CST 2009

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>>> I agree to some extent.
>>> But I find "endorsing" a recipe is implying a strong personal
>>> commitment. "To endorse" carries meaning of legal endorsement.
>>> I prefer just to "recommend" a recipe. I prefer "recommend" over
>>> "endorse".
>>
>> I like "recommend" -- that would work for me.
>
> Wikipedia says:
>
>  	1. to support, to back, to give one's approval to, especially
>  	   officially or by signature
>  	2. To write one's signature on the back of a cheque when
>  	   transferring it to a third party, or cashing it
>  	3. To give or receive an endorsement
>
>  	http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/endorse
>
> I think meaning #1 fits with what we like. It's like New York Times
> endorsing one of the presidential candidates.
>
> /Christian

Well done, Christian! Meaning 1 works for me (although I still
don't really like the word "endorse" -- perhaps "support"?).
I would not choose "recommend" because it can imply a
fitness for purpose, but this depends on the purpose. So I
might recommend recipe A in one set of circumstances and
recipe B in another, even though the recipes may serve the
same broad purpose. If somebody makes a recommendation
that I use something without finding out my requirements,
the recommendation is not usefuI.

Choosing the right word is hard, but important.

JR