[pmwiki-users] RSS subscription no update of edits

Rogutės rogutes at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 23 14:43:10 CST 2009

Patrick R. Michaud (2009-01-23 13:25):
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 05:49:02PM +0100, ABClf wrote:
> > > What should the diff text look like -- how should it be formatted?
> >
> > [...]
> > If it were extracted and formatted as it is shown in the diff action page, why
> > not optionally limited to x characters, it would be fine for me.
> > Any formatting (maybe brute pmwiki markup is better) would be fine.
>
> AFAIK, RSS doesn't really allow any special formatting in the
> description, which is part of the problem that I see here.
>
> Unless we cheat and go outside of the RSS specification somehow.
>
> Even better would be if someone could point me to an example
> where something like this is being done.

RSS spec [1] doesn't say anything about special formatting under the
description field, so standard XML escaping may be used to include HTML
and what not. Only '<', '>' and '&' need to be escaped in XML (this is
also displayed in a sample file [2]).

Also, a CDATA section can be used:
<description><![CDATA[<a href="example.com">example</a>]]></description>

I'm using CDATA in a PmWiki driven blog, and it works fine with browsers
(and I've just realised that I am not escaping ']]>' in the CDATA
section, but I should [3] - oops).

[1] http://www.rssboard.org/rss-specification
[2] http://www.rssboard.org/files/sample-rss-2.xml
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#dt-cdsection