[pmwiki-users] Rating cookbooks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jan 23 16:28:49 CST 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 09:41:42AM +1300, john.rankin at affinity.co.nz wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 06:02:43PM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> >> - whichever term is chosen, I think ~~~~ may be a simplification
> >>   too far; I would really like to see a comment associated with
> >>   the name (rejecting any comments that contain a url)
> >
> > Okay, if ~~~~ is too simple, then perhaps something like
> > http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SimpleRating?  This
> > could be coupled with a form or link to make it easier to
> > add ratings, and changing the name to "recommendations"
> > or "friends" or whatever?
>
> Well, rating is a different concept. What I like about friend,
> endorse, recommend (following Christian's excellent post,
> I will use "support") is that the supporter is making some
> kind of commitment.

Sorry, my post was (very) unclear.  I'm not advocating the use of
the term "rating", I'm looking at the detailed mechanics of an
implementation for indicating "I support this recipe".

So, ignore the 1..5 scale in SimpleRating, pretend it's just
"+1".  Then the pages end up with a markup like:

   !! Supporters

   * [[~Pm]] +1
     I support this recipe because it's well written and
     the author bribed me to say this.
   * [[~John]] +1
     Great recipe.
   * [[~Sally]] +1
   * Bob +1
     I don't have/want a profile page, but I support this recipe.

There are two reasons for keeping the "+1" in place: (1) it gives
us a way for markup to distinguish a supporter from an ordinary bullet
item, and (2) it opens the door to allow a +2 sometime in the
future.  There have been many situations when I've found it to
be very handy to differentiate "support" and "strongly support".

So again, I'm looking more at "mechanics of how we make this work"
as opposed to what we call it -- "support" is fine with me.

That said, one possible downside of using "support" is that
it might imply that these are people who maintain the
recipe -- i.e., in the sense of providing "technical support"
and ongoing bugfixes.  I'm sure that's not what we're intending
to indicate, but I can see people being easily confused by
"support" in this way.