[pmwiki-users] Rating cookbooks

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Sun Jan 25 18:50:06 CST 2009

On Saturday, 24 January 2009 11:28 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

>So, ignore the 1..5 scale in SimpleRating, pretend it's just
>"+1".  Then the pages end up with a markup like:
>
>   !! Supporters
>
>   * [[~Pm]] +1
>     I support this recipe because it's well written and
>     the author bribed me to say this.
>   * [[~John]] +1
>     Great recipe.
>   * [[~Sally]] +1
>   * Bob +1
>     I don't have/want a profile page, but I support this
>recipe.
>
>There are two reasons for keeping the "+1" in place: (1) it gives
>us a way for markup to distinguish a supporter from an ordinary bullet
>item, and (2) it opens the door to allow a +2 sometime in the
>future.  There have been many situations when I've found it to
>be very handy to differentiate "support" and "strongly
>support".
>
>So again, I'm looking more at "mechanics of how we make this work"

What about using term/definition markup for this? And including a
"supporter date". This could give:

: [[~Pm]] 2005-01-21 : I support this recipe because it's well
written and the author bribed me to say this.

: [[~John]] 2006-03-15 : Great recipe.

: [[~Sally]] 2006-06-05 : ''no comment given''

: Bob 2007-09-30 : I don't have/want a profile page, but I
support this recipe.

: [[~Tom]] 2008-12-25 : I tested this thoroughly and couldn't
break it.

: ''anonymous'' 2009-01-01 : I have been using this for several
months and really like it.

There are pro's and con's for having a +1:

+ the reasons given, which are good ones

- using definition markup and a date may be sufficient to
  distinguish the entry from a regular term/definition

- leaving it out now doesn't stop us adding it later and
  it would allow a later modification to give people the
  option to leave a comment, but not a rating

If it's included now, why a "+" prefix rather than just 1?
Alternatively, why +1 rather than + on its own?

Perhaps the best argument for *not* including a +1 is that it
then means if it's introduced later, people can have an option
to leave a comment, but not a rating. I don't think supporters
should be forced to rate a recipe. If +1 means "I have not
given this recipe a rating", the only reason to have it now is
to create a unique markup expression.

If it's required to distinguish the entry from ordinary list
items, could it be just a + so it can in future mean "unrated"
i.e. not the same as a +1?

This would give:

: [[~Pm]] 2005-01-21 + : I support this recipe because it's
well written and the author bribed me to say this.

Should anonymous supporters be accepted?

If supporters can choose not to have a link to a profile
page, will the form include a "Link my name to my profile"
checkbox? I wonder if being able to support anonymously
would be sufficient:
- if the author field is filled in, it is linked to the
  profile
- if it's blank, it is recorded as an anonymous supporter

This would be consistent with how the edit form works.

Let's come back to the word later -- once we finalise the
mechanics.

>Pm

Hope this helps
JR