[pmwiki-users] pmwiki automatically creates new pages

David Shrader dshrader at wisc.edu
Tue Jan 27 09:43:57 CST 2009

Hello All,

We are using pmwiki for our graduate research group, and it has been
wonderful!  It was the easiest to install on the convoluted and non-user
friendly departmental webservers.

I've run into a bit of an annoying syntax quirk, though.  Pmwiki seems
to try to automatically create new pages based on text on a line that
has no double square brackets.  For example, if I type in a molecular
composition, like NaCl, SiC, or ZnO, pmwiki interprets those as new
pages, even though I do not surround the text with [[]].  In the preview
and saved states, each of these will be in red, have spaces before the
capitals (NaCl becomes Na Cl), and can be clicked on.  When clicked, I
am taken to a new page to edit.

I used the sandbox on pmwiki.org to see if this happens there, and found
that it doesn't.  Was something done there to turn this behaviour off?
Or, should we update our version of pmwiki since we haven't changed it
in about a year?

Thanks so much for your time!
David
--