[pmwiki-users] Rating cookbooks (Eemeli Aro)

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Jan 29 18:23:32 CST 2009

>2009/1/28 Peter Bowers <pbowers at pobox.com>:
>> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Eemeli Aro <eemeli at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Users: [[~Eemeli Aro]], [[~Hans]], Bob the Profile-less, etc.

>> I think having an "opinion" right together with comments is going to make it
>> far more likely that people will be more complete in their "reviews."  Of
>> course there could be a markup that the recipe page maintainer puts to
>> display the full information in one place and a quick summary in another --
>> but this is all dependent on having the opinion data in a useful and
>> parsable format...

I agree with this. Comments give context and value -- when considering
a recipe, qualitative data is really useful. For example, on Amazon
people have an opportunity to rate a review's usefulness. Some reviews
(good ones and bad ones) are more useful than others. It's also true
that some names are more trusted than others, so a comment from a
reliable source is more useful than the same comment from an unknown
source.

>> [1] I've been thinking about the forms solution and I'm wondering if it
>> wouldn't be better to store the data in a Cookbook/Recipe-Opinions page
>> rather than on the page itself.  That would handle the concerns for those of
>> us who maintain our recipe pages on our local systems and periodically
>> upload them to pmwiki.org...

I agree with this too. A summary on the recipe page could, of course,
be a list of names, which would satisfy the other comments on this thread.

It also makes it easier to implement a forms-based solution. It's the same
logic as posting to RecentChanges, so may be able to re-use the code --
this may allow a person to update their comment, as the [[~supporter]]
link becomes the key to the line being updated, so the RecentChanges
code will take care of it automatically.

JR
--
John Rankin
Affinity Limited