[pmwiki-users] Request: Add default OpenSearch & Universal Edit Button support to PmWiki

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sat Mar 14 06:08:01 CDT 2009

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 16:59:51 Eemeli Aro wrote:
> My reason to suggest the inclusion of these in the core is the
> combination of their relative obscurity and unintrusiveness, along
> with the network effect that comes from using them. I also don't see
> any downside to including these in the core.

One downside is that the core will become larger and more complicated.

UEB : I can see a huge number of PmWiki sites that are not open for editing by
any visitor, or even advertizing that they are wiki sites. So should this be
included in the core, it will be disabled by default. But in that case,
adding a switch to enable it, is almost the same, very short command as the
current implementation in Cookbook/UniversalEditButton, so I'd leave it as a
cookbook recipe for now, untill a larger discussion clears out some
consensus.

OpenSearch : same comment. Many PmWiki sites are small, private and with the
search form removed from the skin. Other sites that wish to allow searching,
have an edit form or a "Search" link.
Should OpenSearch be added to the core, it will be disabled in the default
installation. I am not opposed for this addition in principle, but I see no
benefits for this over the current cookbook implementation. People will have
to write in their config.php:

  include_once("$FarmD/scripts/opensearch.php");
-instead of-
  include_once("$FarmD/cookbook/opensearch.php");

I am trying to follow the PmWiki Philosophy #3 here, and because these
features are implemented as cookbook recipes, I'd wait a little to see if
there is a larger consensus in the community about specific needs for them to
be added to the core.

Thanks,
Petko