[pmwiki-users] ultra slow page loads on pmwiki.org

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jan 5 20:57:08 CST 2010

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 10:19:35AM +0000, Hans wrote:
> I had not done anything for a while on pmwiki.org,
> but I notice now that page loads are ultra slow, often taking more
> than 30 seconds for a page to load. This is beyond what I find
> acceptable and puts me off doing anything other than what is
> absolutely necessary. I hope it can be fixed.

Looks like this was caused by a number of problems.  First, we were
being hit heavily by a number of new web crawlers, especially
msnbot and Yandex.  I've re-tuned the robots settings to avoid
this problem, and things have been pretty smooth today.

Also, my email settings stopped working as of January 1, so I
wasn't getting any messages.  This caused mail to back up on
the server as well.

Anyway, I think things are fixed now and we should see improved
performance again.