[pmwiki-users] RSS and url link in (:description:)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jan 6 09:36:35 CST 2010

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 02:57:22PM +0100, St�phane Heckel wrote:
> Stéphane wrote :
>
> > I have observed that an URL link [[x|y]] in (:description ... :) is
> > displayed 'as is' (not rendered) in the RSS feed, ...
> > Is this a feature ?
>
> Hello, can someone confirm ?

When I last checked (and this was at least two years ago), embedding
links into RSS description fields wasn't entirely within the RSS
specification.  In other words, there was no explicit standard for
the embedding of HTML elements within the RSS text.

Thus, PmWiki's current choice to leave markup as-is within
the description rather than convert it to HTML is somewhat
reflective of the RSS standard as it existed then.  If the
state-of-the-art in RSS has changed, we might be able to
update PmWiki to match.  Or perhaps atom/rdf would be better
options.

Hope this helps!