[pmwiki-users] RSS and url link in (:description:)

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Wed Jan 6 16:25:36 CST 2010

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 02:57:22PM +0100, St�phane Heckel wrote:
>> St�phane wrote :
>>
>>> I have observed that an URL link [[x|y]] in (:description ... :) is
>>> displayed 'as is' (not rendered) in the RSS feed, ...
>>> Is this a feature ?
>> Hello, can someone confirm ?
>
> When I last checked (and this was at least two years ago), embedding
> links into RSS description fields wasn't entirely within the RSS
> specification.  In other words, there was no explicit standard for
> the embedding of HTML elements within the RSS text.

If the feeds are being looked at, it's worth a bit of research to see
how easy it is to use PmWiki for podcasts.

This is the extent of my knowledge:

- I enter the URL for the podcast's RSS feed into iTunes. (Some of the
ones I listen to aren't in the iTunes's store. Not sure if other feed
types are used.)

- iTunes examines the feed and identifies the media files. It shows
information from the ID3 tags for the files immediately.

- iTunes has options to control downloading the files. This was useful
when I was on holiday with dial-up. I could tell it which file I wanted
to spend time on.

I think that means the link rather than the actual media file is
embedded, but it's worth checking the specs. iTunes might also have
advice that differs from the specs -- in which case, well, remember
Explorer and specs? iTunes is the most commonly used podcatcher.

Sandy